The path of Father de Rotz
Deep humanity based on religion-Father de Rotz
Father Marco Marie de Rotz was born as the second son of a French nobleman in 1840 (Tenpo 11). After graduating from theological school, he joined the Foreign Missionary Church of Paris for Orientalism. In 1868 (the first year of the Meiji period), when Christian suppression still continued, he came to Japan and made many achievements in Nagasaki and Yokohama.
After being assigned to Sotome, he practiced Christian teaching, using his knowledge of a wide range of fields such as architecture, medicine, and industry learned in France. With a deep love for humanity based on religion, he dedicated his efforts to the people of Sotome and died at the age of 1914 in 3 (Taisho 74) without ever returning to his home country.
He is currently sleeping in the tomb in the field next to the road that he made (currently Shitsu cemetery).
Giving the power to live to the people of Sotome
In 1879 (Meiji 12), Father de Rotz, the missionary priest in the Sotome area, is called the “Land of Islands” and has been used for long-term Christian repression in a poor natural environment that is not blessed with fields. Looking at the people who were poor and depended only on their faith while enduring, they felt painful, "not only the soul's salvation, but the human body in which the soul lives, the salvation of the life is necessary." First, a church was built in Shitsu, and a village centered on the church was started. A rescue hospital was founded in 1883 (Meiji 16). By granting a variety of businesses, we gave the people of Sotome “the power to live independently”.
The value and role of the Aid Center with the spirit of Father de Rotz
Father de Rotz hoped to "save people of Sotome from poor life" and "a place to work for a wife or mother who lost her husband or son who was a family worker in a maritime accident or illness, or a daughter who has no job" Invested private property and constructed facilities such as a nursing center, macaroni factory, and seine factory. We supported women's independence through nurturing projects such as woven fabrics, woven fabrics, raw noodles, macaroni, bread, and soy sauce brewing.
In addition, women who pray, learn and work vividly at each facility knew them as “places for cultivating, utilizing and practicing faith in their lives”. The Rescue House also played a role in facilitating human formation based on faith, based on Father de Rotz's teaching that “education creates people”.
Father de Rotz principal history chronology (Father de Rotz Memorial Museum document)
Born in Vauxur Village, Bayu County, Calward, France
Graduated from Bayeux Theological Seminary
Becomes an assistant priest of the Julian Church.
Joined Paris Foreign Mission Church
1868 (Keio 4)
Visited Nagasaki and set up a lithographic printing shop in Oura Catholic Church.
1871 (Meiji 4)
Transferred to Yokohama, and served as a minister of Yokosuka Shipyard until 1873.
1873 (Meiji 6)
Became a priest with Oura Catholic Church and started printing business. (Until 1879 years)
1875 (Meiji 8)
Oura Theological Seminary (currently an important national cultural asset)
1879 (Meiji 12)
Appointed to the Sotome area and became the chief priest of the Shitsu Church
1881 (Meiji 14)
Opened Youth Education Center
1882 (Meiji 15)
Established Shitsu Church (currently designated as a cultural asset by the prefecture)
1883 (Meiji 16)
Establishing the Rescue Center Began the delivery business of bread, macaroni, somen, and textiles.
1884 (Meiji 17)
Exploring the wilderness behind the Hentake in the Sotome (until 1901)
1885 (Meiji 18)
Established sardine net suki factory and nursery school (prefectural designated cultural property, now Father de Rotz's Memorial). Make a breakwater in Toishizaki.
Typhoid epidemic, pharmacy established and treated.
1886 (Meiji 19)
Nagatazaki Prefecture Kitamatsuura-gun Tahira, villagers pioneered and moved to Hirado (~ 1893)
1887 (Meiji 20)
Purchased land to help the poor in Omura Takematsugo
1891 (Meiji 24)
Occurrence of dysentery, establishment of a ward, formation of youth relief team
1893 (Meiji 26)
Ono Church construction (prefectural designated cultural property)
1895 (Meiji 28)
Prefectural road repair work (food and labor were given to villagers suffering from famine)
1898 (Meiji 31)
Established a new cemetery on the Shitsu field path
1901 (Meiji 34)
Established a farm in Hakudake, opened a tea plantation, and promoted agriculture
1910 (Meiji 43)
Design and architectural director of Nagasaki Oura Bishop's Hall
1914 (Taisho 3)
11 month 7 day, passed away in Minamiyamate, Nagasaki city, buried in Shitsu cemetery (74)